Old fashioned Dutch Apple Pie

My family is Swiss Decent...which by all rights should make me a great cook! 
Well, I am a good cook, by I wouldn't say that I'm great. 
My ancestors did know how to make a mean Apple Pie though!

 Old Fashioned Dutch Apple Pie

*Please note that I make my own pie crust. None of that Pillsbury stuff.

Pie Crust:
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 c oil (vegetable or canola)
2 T cold water

Hand Mix slowly(with a fork) the flour, salt, and oil until half mixed, then add water to finish mixing. Form into a ball and place on large piece of wax paper.  Place a second sheet of wax paper on top and roll dough until large enough for pie pan. Peel of top later. 
Pick up bottom layer and invert and place into pan. Paper should peel off fairly easily.
Form edge with thumb and first two fingers of other hand to make crinkle.

Apple Pie:

3 cups chopped apples
1/2 c sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Peel and chop apples into dice size pieces. Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over top of apples. Let sit for 15 minutes.

Pour sugared apples into unbaked pie crust. in small bowl combine:

1/3 cup softened butter
3/4 c flour
1/2 cup sugar

Cut butter into flour and sugar to make a crumb mixture. Spread on top of apples. Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake for 10 minutes at 450° then 30 minutes at 350°. Makes one pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment